ADF Advocates for Your Right to Freely Live out Your Faith
Everyone says they want to change the world. We’re looking for people who actually will.
Alliance Defending Freedom is an alliance-building legal organization that advocates for the right of people to freely live out their faith. Please visit www.adflegal.org/about-us/careers to view our Statement of Faith and Doctrinal Distinctives.
Alliance Defending Freedom is looking for a highly skilled Legal Counsel to serve as part of ADF’s Center for Legislative Advocacy in our Atlanta, GA, Lansdowne, VA or Scottsdale, AZ office. This position promotes the strategic objectives of ADF via education and advocacy efforts involving direct government action. As an alliance builder, the Legal Counsel will support outreach and coordination with allies focused on government, legislative, and policy issues, with a joint focus on both federal and state legislative efforts. The Legal Counsel will build and serve on the legislative team that manages legislative review and education initiatives as well as grassroots engagement efforts. This position will include a specialty focus on providing legal counsel on legislation and policies that promote the First Amendment.
Your Essential Responsibilities:
In this position, you will:
- Advocate and coordinate support for the positions of ADF on governmental policies and legislation with a strong focus on First Amendment protections.
- Conduct research on the latest court precedent that impacts federal and state legislative issues.
- Draft legislation and policies related to the First Amendment and related areas.
- Assist in the development of testimony, position papers, and reports.
- Provide legislative testimony on the legal implications of proposed legislation.
- Review, track, and report on federal and state legislation.
- Travel to meet with policy groups, legislative staff, and other stakeholders to discuss policy, strategy, and how to effectively advocate to government officials and the public.
- Encourage and facilitate effective working relationships with key government and policy allies.
- Speak publicly to the media and before crowds.
- Work collaboratively within the ADF team and with external allies.
Other Responsibilities (Non-Essential):
- You will be asked to perform related duties or special projects as assigned.
Skills you need to succeed:
- Familiarity with federal and state legislative processes and procedures.
- Demonstrated knowledge of policy and constitutional issues related to the First Amendment.
- Proven legislative advocacy skills, including demonstrated advanced verbal and written communication skills.
- Research, analysis, and evaluation of federal and state governmental issues, rules, regulations, and legislation.
- Demonstrated high-level and effective interpersonal skills, including the ability to establish and maintain effective broad-range working relationships and proven ability to work independently and collaboratively on internal and external teams.
- Willingness to work in a frenetic and fluid legislative/political environment.
- Flexibility and effectiveness in handling multiple and complex projects simultaneously under stringent timeframes and changing conditions.
- Bolstering relationships with key federal and state legislative staff, as well as other mission-related advocacy organizations.
- Awareness of the current political environment and ongoing strategic implications that affect the legislative activities of ADF.
- Ability to reach out and effectively use grassroots networks to advance a policy agenda.
- Knowledge of ADF’s mission and strategic objectives.
Demonstrated proficiency in:
- Strong communication and relationship development skills.
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office Word and Outlook.
- Strong time management skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Navigating the complex structure of the legislative branch to produce desired results.
- Professionally handle confidential information.
- Make sound decisions under demanding conditions.
- Solve problems.
- Rapidly change priorities to respond to recent and changing legislative developments.
- Work, motivate, and initiate within a team and independently.
- Produce excellent written and verbal communication.
- Function effectively in a fast-paced environment.
- Persuade and inspire others to act.
- Travel frequently, especially during the legislative season.
Education and/or experience:
- J.D., and licensed to practice law.
- Experience in public policy advocacy or legislative work at the federal or state level.
- Preferably 5 years of professional experience involving government relations at the federal or state level.
- To complete your application, please attach a writing sample and copy of your transcripts to your application or if the files are too large, email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR AN ORGANIZATION WITH A COMPETITIVE COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS PACKAGE, TOO?
We have it! Alliance Defending Freedom offers team members a competitive compensation and benefits package that includes major medical insurance, dental care, medical and dependent care reimbursement, paid disability, long-term care insurance, and life insurance. We also offer a 401(k) plan with a generous company match. Work and life balance is important to the well-being of our team members. You will receive paid time off (PTO) that starts accruing from your hire date and 11 paid holidays per year.
To apply for this job please visit recruit.hirebridge.com.