Website ADFLegal Alliance Defending Freedom
ADF Advocates for Your Right to Freely Live out Your Faith
Everyone says they want to change the world. We’re looking for people who actually will.
Alliance Defending Freedom is an alliance-building legal organization that advocates for the right of people to freely live out their faith. Please visit www.adflegal.org/about-us/careers to view our Statement of Faith and Doctrinal Distinctives.
Legal Counsel, Center for Christian Ministries
Alliance Defending Freedom is looking for a highly skilled Legal Counsel, Center for Christian Ministries to join us in our Scottsdale, AZ; Lansdowne, VA; or Washington DC office. As Legal Counsel, you are a vital part of the US Legal Division and will specifically focus on litigation of church and church-related cases. In this role, you will report to the Sr. Counsel, Director of the Center for Christian Ministries. The Legal Counsel position requires an experienced attorney capable of undertaking complex litigation and appellate advocacy without substantial oversight by senior attorneys. The Legal Counsel position also trains junior attorneys in basic civil litigation with an emphasis on First Amendment law and 42 U.S.C. § 1983 civil rights actions; also litigates civil actions, drafts legal documents, advises clients as to legal rights, and practices other phases of law by performing the following duties. The Legal Counsel position also oversees administrative and paralegal support functions.
Your Essential Responsibilities:
In this position, you will:
- Conduct research, and interviews clients, and witnesses.
- Represent client in court, and before quasi-judicial or administrative agencies of government; interprets laws, rulings, and regulations for individuals and businesses.
- Confer with colleagues to establish and verify the basis for legal proceedings.
- Cooperate with the Development team, including speaking engagements and other events.
- Review in-house contracts and legal issues.
- Interact with media regarding cases and issues.
- Advises allied attorneys on legal issues within areas of competence.
- Network and develop relationships with allied attorneys, and/or potential allied attorneys.
- Train junior attorneys; perform quality control via review and editing of trainee’s drafts; in-house workshop, and one-on-one mentoring.
Other Responsibilities (Non-Essential):
You will be asked to perform related duties or special projects as assigned.
Skills you need to succeed:
Demonstrated proficiency in:
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office and Westlaw.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Strong attention to detail and proven project management skills.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Proven customer service and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Professionally handle confidential information.
- Work, motivate, and initiate within a team.
- Prioritize and achieve deadline goals.
Education and/or experience:
- Bachelor’s degree.
- J.D., license to practice law in the relevant jurisdiction.
To complete your application, please attach a writing sample and copy of your transcripts to your application or if the files are too large, email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
ARE YOU LOOKING FOR AN ORGANIZATION WITH A COMPETITIVE COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS PACKAGE, TOO?
We have it! Alliance Defending Freedom offers team members a competitive compensation and benefits package that includes major medical insurance, dental care, medical and dependent care reimbursement, paid disability, long-term care insurance, and life insurance. We also offer a 401(k) plan with a generous company match. Work and life balance is important to the well-being of our team members. You will receive paid time off (PTO) that starts accruing from your hire date and 11 paid holidays per year.
To apply for this job please visit recruit.hirebridge.com.