Website Phoenix Christian Preparatory School
HIGH SCHOOL HISTORY & ENGLISH TEACHER JOB DESCRIPTION
Title: High School History & English
Reports To / Evaluated by: Building Principal
Education: Bachelor’s degree required
Contracted By: School board for one year
General Responsibilities: The teacher will work closely with students and teachers to provide a Christ centered, college preparatory curriculum.
The position will be a combination of World History & English sections. The English curriculum will include a study of different genres of literature and development writing skills including grammar and vocabulary.
The World History & Geography sections will focus on inquiry into the impact of social, geographical,
political and economic influence on historical events from a distinctly Christian perspective.
The qualified individual must be an evangelical Christian committed to living a Biblical lifestyle. He/she is
expected to demonstrate patience, humility, integrity, and kindness while performing his or her day to day
duties. He/she must be devoted to prayerfully work with administration, faculty, students, and parents.
Section 1 – Required Personal Qualities
1. Is in whole-hearted agreement with the school’s Statement of Faith and Christian philosophy of
2. Demonstrates the character qualities of enthusiasm, courtesy, flexibility, integrity, gratitude, kindness,
self-control, perseverance, and punctuality.
3. Meets everyday stress with emotional stability, objectivity, and optimism.
4. Respectfully submits and is loyal to constituted authority.
5. Notifies the supervisor/administrator of any policy he/she is unable to support.
6. Refuses to use or circulate confidential information inappropriately.
7. Appreciates and understands the diversity of the Phoenix Christian community.
8. Recognizes the need for good public relations. Represents the school in a favorable and professional
manner to the school’s constituency and the general public.
9. Develops and maintains rapport with students, parents, and staff by treating others with friendliness
dignity, and consideration.
10. Follows the Matthew 18 principle in dealing with students, parents, staff, and administration.
11. Seeks the counsel of the supervisor/administrator, colleagues, and parents while maintaining a
12. Uses acceptable English in written and oral communication.
Section 2 – Required Spiritual Development
1. Has received Jesus Christ as his/her personal Savior.
2. Believes that the Bible is God’s Word and standard for faith and daily living.
3. Is a Christian role model in attitude, speech, and actions toward others. This includes being committed
to God’s biblical standards for sexual conduct (Luke 6:40)
4. Regularly attends a local, evangelical church, which has a Statement of Faith in harmony with the
Phoenix Christian Statement of Faith.
5. Shows by example the importance of Scripture study and memorization, prayer, witnessing, and unity in
the Body of Christ.
6. Reflects the purpose of the school, which is to honor Christ in every class and in every activity.
7. Motivates students to accept God’s gift of salvation and help them grow in their faith.
8. Leads students to a realization of their worth in Christ.
9. Has the spiritual maturity, ability, and personal qualities to “train up a child in the way he should go.”
10. Recognizes the role of parents as holding primary responsibility before God for their children’s
education and is prepared to assist them in that task.
11. Maintains a personal appearance that is a Christian role model of cleanliness, modesty, and good taste,
and that is in agreement with any applicable school policy.
Section 3 – Curriculum and Instruction (All Faculty)
1. Teaches classes as assigned following the prescribed scope and sequence.
2. Remains current in teaching methodology and course content information.
3. Integrates biblical principles and the Christian philosophy of education throughout the curriculum and
4. Keeps proper discipline in the classroom and on the school premises for a good learning environment.
5. Maintains a clean, attractive, well-ordered classroom.
6. Plans a program of study that, as much as possible, meets the individual needs, interests, and abilities of
the students, challenging each to do his/her best work.
7. Utilizes valid teaching techniques to achieve curriculum goals within the framework of the school’s
8. Employs a variety of instructional aids (including technology), methods, and materials that will provide
for creative teaching to reach the whole child: spiritual, mental, physical, social, and emotional.
9. Plans through approved channels, the balanced use of field trips, guest speakers, and other media.
10. Uses homework effectively for drill, review, enrichment, or project work.
11. Effectively assesses the learning of students on a regular basis and provides progress reports as
12. Is prepared for classroom instruction both daily and long term.
13. Effectively manages the classroom and other learning environments.
14. Maintains regular and accurate attendance.
15. Grades and enters the grades for student work within the time frame set by school policy.
16. Maintains current lesson information in the school computer system.
17. Maintains up to date course map and plan information in the school computer system.
18. Aligns units and lessons to appropriate standards adopted by the school.
19. Individualizes instruction as necessary or required to meet exceptional student needs.
Section 4 – Professional Conduct
1. Keeps teacher and the administration adequately informed of student concerns.
2. Cooperates with classroom and administration in implementing all policies, procedures, and directives
governing the operation of the school and classroom.
3. Knows the procedures for dealing with an emergency issue and mandated reporting.
4. Informs the administration, in a timely manner, if unable to fulfill any duty assigned.
5. Utilizes educational opportunities and evaluation processes for professional growth.
6. Provides current transcript, certification, and endorsement information for the personnel file.
7. Performs other reasonable duties that may be assigned by the administration
To apply for this job please visit www.phoenixchristian.org.